Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Map per region

Map per region 1 year 3 weeks ago #181

• Sven
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to show maps for different regions on one website.

In my case I want to make 7 different maps for the Canary Islands; 1 per island.

I need a menu item per island - so when people click on one island in the menu they are taken to a map of this 1 island only and not to an overview of all islands:

Something like this:
  • Canary Islands Bike Maps (top menu item when people click on it they are taken to a map that shows all bike tracks in the canary islands - showing all the islands)
  • Lanzarote Bike Maps (clicking on it user is taken to a map only showing this islands and its bike tracks)
  • Fuerteventura Bike Maps (clicking on it user is taken to a map only showing this islands and its bike tracks)
  • Gran Canaria Bike Maps (clicking on it user is taken to a map only showing this islands and its bike tracks)
  • Tenerife Bike Maps (clicking on it user is taken to a map only showing this islands and its bike tracks)
  • La Palma Bike Maps (clicking on it user is taken to a map only showing this islands and its bike tracks)
  • La Gomera Bike Maps (clicking on it user is taken to a map only showing this islands and its bike tracks)
  • El Hierro Bike Maps (clicking on it user is taken to a map only showing this islands and its bike tracks)

But I cannot find a way to make this possible - maybe there is a way but I cannot find it...

Thanks for some input.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Map per region 1 year 3 weeks ago #182

• Christophe
  • Administrator
This feature is not implemented. I will look at a possible and simple solution.
Christophe
J!TrackGallery developper

Map per region 1 year 2 weeks ago #183

• Christophe
  • Administrator
I think we can do that quite easely. Suppose the overview url is (depending on SEF URL configured on joomla )

demoj3.jtrackgallery.net/index.php
add menu item with an URL to specify an area like:
demoj3.jtrackgallery.net/index.php?area=la-palma
The ?area parameter have to be save in backend. I will not develop a feature to automatically define these area (too long to develop) but the idea is to save in the backend for each area : alias, name, min lon, min lat, max lon, max lat and to zoom on given latitude and longitude. This parameter can be saved in a simple JSON string, structured as describe below.

I know that entering this JSON string will be tricky, but the result is interesting. I decided not to filter tracks so that, browsing FuerteVentura island only shows relating tracks, but if the user zoom out to other islands, corresponding tracks are visible.

Sample JSON string for area:
{
"areas": [
{
"alias": "la-palma", "name":"La Palma", "minlon":"-15.8", "minlat":"27.7", "maxlon":"-15.3", "maxlat":"28.2"
},
{
"alias"="la_gomera",
}
]
}
Christophe
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Christophe.

Map per region 1 year 2 weeks ago #184

• Sven
Sorry I do not understand what you mean and not sure if you understand what I needed:

I have a menu called Rutas: index.php?option=com_jtg&view=jtg

This shows me all the tracks of Fuerteventura & Lanzarote - maybe there is people visiting both islands but probably not so what they need is to click on the island they will spend their holiday.

This could be achieved with sub menu items:

1 menu item that shows: Tracks in Fuerteventura
1 menu item that shows: Traccks in Lanzarote
a.s.o

So when they click on: Tracks in Fuerteventura a map will show with only tracks of Fuerteventura and then they could click on Categories and choose Mountainbike or whatever tracks they want to see....

With your solution if they come to Tracks in Fuerteventura and then they click on Categories above the map and choose Mountainbikes they would see a list with all Mountainbike tracks on all islands - or am I wrong?

Please specify as I cannot follow and cannot test as I have no idea what and where have to save what in the backend?

But maybe what I need would only be possible with a different logic in the extension - using categories and sub-categories such as:

Categories: Areas
Sub-Categories: Track Types

But maybe I am wrong - but I cannot understand what your solution would look like. And where I would have to add what...
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Sven .

Map per region 1 year 2 weeks ago #186

• Christophe
  • Administrator
OK I now clearly understand. My proposal is not interesting according to your goal.

The feature you are interested in is not possible with the present J!TrackGallery version. As you mentionned, it requires:
  • an additional subcategory for areas,
  • plus some additional filtering, (for example when browsing all track from area Lanzarote, one must be able to select only Mountain bike, (ie Mountain bike in Lanzarote))
  • and the ability to define direct menu/links for a filtered track list (track list for one geographical area, or one area and one activity (MTB).

In addition, I have to redesign the filtering which at present don't works (I already worked at this but did not had enough time end this task)

In conclusion, this feature is not possible in the current version. It is of course interesting, but I'm not able to develop this in the near future.
Christophe
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Christophe.

Map per region 11 months 6 days ago #210

• Christophe
  • Administrator
Sven wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to show maps for different regions on one website.

In my case I want to make 7 different maps for the Canary Islands; 1 per island.

I need a menu item per island - so when people click on one island in the menu they are taken to a map of this 1 island only and not to an overview of all islands:

Something like this:
  • Canary Islands Bike Maps (top menu item when people click on it they are taken to a map that shows all bike tracks in the canary islands - showing all the islands)
  • Lanzarote Bike Maps (clicking on it user is taken to a map only showing this islands and its bike tracks)
  • Fuerteventura Bike Maps (clicking on it user is taken to a map only showing this islands and its bike tracks)
  • Gran Canaria Bike Maps (clicking on it user is taken to a map only showing this islands and its bike tracks)
  • Tenerife Bike Maps (clicking on it user is taken to a map only showing this islands and its bike tracks)
  • La Palma Bike Maps (clicking on it user is taken to a map only showing this islands and its bike tracks)
  • La Gomera Bike Maps (clicking on it user is taken to a map only showing this islands and its bike tracks)
  • El Hierro Bike Maps (clicking on it user is taken to a map only showing this islands and its bike tracks)

But I cannot find a way to make this possible - maybe there is a way but I cannot find it...

Thanks for some input.
Christophe
Time to create page: 0.365 seconds